Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:32:05 -0600

> Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 12/09/2014 02:00 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>>> Texinfo 4 is still available, isn't it?  I can't recall whether I
>>> installed it myself or it was just there, but I found Texinfo 5
>>> unbearable and switched.
>>
>> And that's a problem.  The fact that so many core Emacs contributors
>> stick with Texinfo 4 is not only a technical problem (Texinfo 4
>> doesn't check syntax typos as well, it is still quoting 1970s-style,
>> etc.), it's a marketing problem as we're giving potential contributors
>> the impression that our development process has ossified.
>
> Yes.  The way the Texinfo maintainers dropped the ball here is perhaps
> the best argument (so far) for why Emacs should switch to a different
> input format.

I agree it's the strongest argument; I also agree with Eli that it's not
strong enough.

I'd be happy to help rewrite texinfo in Ada (which I realize is a free
offer, since it's a non-starter :).

On the other hand, I just built emacs.info after changing one file. The
make time was noticable, but no longer than other make times I encounter
daily.

I have a fairly fast machine; about three years old, 4 core 2.4 GHz,
Windows 7.

--
-- Stephe