Re: Making completion more interactive

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making completion more interactive
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 05:35:15 +0200

> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:59:09 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > Did you try Icomplete mode?
> >

> Yes, but it's just like iswitchb, isn't it?
>
> I'm talking about improving the default completion
> experience.

Since we already have optional features to do that, why do we need to
change the default?

If you are arguing for making Icomplete the default, we can discuss
that.  But even if we decide to make it the default, there will be
people who'd like the old behavior, and for them we should still offer
the current behavior as an option they could use.

> Is there a reason for not listing completions automatically? It's
> just a more fluid user experience.

Some people like the current behavior, which matches what shells do.