Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 13:40:01 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> But the point I (and I believe others) are trying to make is that with
> org-mode you can start simple.

Uh, are we still talking about Texinfo?  You won't be using more than
about a dozen commands regularly.  This is not plain TeX.  It isn't even
LaTeX.  It's a boringly stupid and limited markup language that takes
very little effort to learn and also is easily recognizable and workable
just copying the skeleton of existing files.

> And it is still useful. And perhaps, perhaps, org-format could be made
> to carry the needed information.  (Not sure about that, though!)

Sorry, but I don't buy the argument about Texinfo's complexity.  And the
kind of "I won't touch what I am not previously accustomed to, no matter
how simple" hypothetical documentation contributors we are talking about
will not be writing substantial amounts of documentation for something
as big and complex as Emacs.

--
David Kastrup