Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 14:50:00 +0000

martin rudalics <address@hidden> writes:

>> I meant as a pointer. So
>>
>>      @defdocstring{current-buffer}
>>
>> would appear as
>>
>>      Return the current buffer as a Lisp object.
>>
>> In the output format.
>
> What is a "pointer" and what is an "output format"?

I don't want to put the docstring in. I want to put a reference to the
docstring. Then when I generate the PDF, html or Info, I want the
reference resolved.

My point is that org could do this with ease if we wanted it too.
Texinfo does not I suspect.

In the same way that I don't want to write

(current-buffer)
 => #<buffer *unsent wide reply to martin rudalics*>

I want to write "(current-buffer)" and have it evaled when the doc is
produced. This is the sort of thing that I expect when writing notes to
teach programming. Why would I not want it in Emacs?

I mention all of this because we have had lots of comments on things
that org cannot do. But texinfo is limited in other ways.

Phil