RE: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 07:08:52 -0800 (PST)

> I was thinking of more complex queries. Say you start with one word,
> "word1". You get too many alternatives so you add "word2" to the
> search string (or the search completion string). Perhaps you also
> have fields you want to specify to narrow the search.
>
> I guess that searching like that is what people are used to today
> (except for fields, of course).

That kind of searching is available in Emacs with packages such as
Icicles (I'm guessing there are others, perhaps Helm, but I can't
speak for others).

You can provide as many search patterns as you like.  And search is
incremental.  And patterns can themselves be complex (e.g. regexps).
And you can exclude pattern-matches as well.  And you can match node
names at the same time (again, using any number of patterns).

But yes, this is an area that could stand for some improvement in
Emacs.