Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 19:27:30 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup writes:
>>
>>  > xdg-open does [open a help browser on the Emacs manual] here
>>  > (basically same as gnome-open).
>>
>> I wonder how what happened.  What does "ls -l `which xdg-open`" tell
>> you?
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 13794 Jul 16 11:43 /usr/bin/xdg-open
>
>> Or maybe there's a common database for XDG-conforming utilities?
>
> Isn't that sort of the point?  See, for example,
>
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/configuring-the-system-for-point-and-click#using-gnome-3-for-point-and-click>
>
>> Anyway, it's hardly reliable if it doesn't work on another distro
>> (I've tried on Gentoo and Debian now).
>
> Probably depends on yelp being installed.

Oh, by the way, that's also one of the things that is great about
GNOME 3: there is no kind of documentation where such stuff may be
found.  It's basically a combination of searching for obscure Wiki pages
and blowing your top in mailing lists that helps you find out about such
stuff (the gconftool-2 recipes just stopped working at some point of
time, naturally without error messages as they did some configuration
that some old applications might still have noticed).

--
David Kastrup