Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 06:24:11 -0500

  > Consider this snippet....

  > @node Abbrevs
  > @chapter Abbrevs

Nodes and sections typically go together
but not always.

It is true we could make the usual case simpler by changing the
defaults.

  >   A defined @dfn{abbrev} is a word which @dfn{expands}, if you insert
  > it, into some different text.

  > @menu
  > * Abbrev Concepts::   Fundamentals of defined abbrevs.
  > * Defining Abbrevs::  Defining an abbrev, so it will expand when typed.
  > @end menu

This is like the above issue: in the usual case, the node names in the menu
can be deduced from the rest of the document, but there are menus which
differ from that.

However, the second part of each line (the text like "Fundamentals of
defined abbrevs") can't be found anywhere else.

If it were not for that text, I could envision defining a command

  @defaultmenu

that it would generate the contents of the menu based on the document
section structure.  But where would it get that added text from?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation