Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 23:46:25 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Well, one problem is that the manuals are really effective for
>> > learning a lot in one learning session.  And that's a good deal
>> > for getting better with using Emacs.  But it doesn't match
>> > modern attention spans.
>>
>> Exactly. Users want to get the information fast and it is much
>> faster to search for something in google than trying to find
>> the relevant section of the manual.
>
> And why is that a problem?  What is wrong with people using a
> web search engine like Google to get access to information
> about Emacs?

Not all information is good, not all information matches the version you
are using.

One of the top hits for AUCTeX I remember being annoyed at contained
information that was bad advice even when it was new, something like a
dozen years before the web search returned it in a high place, turned
bad not too long after that and it belonged to a student page that was
long frozen in time with nobody to look after it any more, the
corresponding mail addresses being either dead or non-responsive.

We can't fix the "web".

--
David Kastrup