Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:13:13 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> ;-) -- You do not do that, normally. Two alternatives:
>>>
>>> 1. You open an equivalent URL. From within Emacs for example. Or from
>>> a web page.
>>> 2. You create a Google CSE. Works very well upto 200 documents (and
>>> perhaps a few hundred more.)
>>
>> The LilyPond manual pages have a search box that works like the first
>> option, I think.
>
> Do you have a link to that on the web?
>

>> Against using a clear text search or the index in Info, it sucks really,
>> really, really bad.  Part of the problem is that followup
>> searches/refinements pretty fast end up on some other page.
>
> I can't see how that can happen.

Shrug.  Try the page
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/extending/>.  Enter
into the Search box on the left "ly:context-property".  You get to some
Google search page and the original page is left.  The Google search
terms include a site restriction, but if you do something like C-a in
order to overtype the search term, of course you land somewhere else.

>> Part of the problem is that, well, searching for something on a huge
>> page that is actually already loaded works not all that well anyway,
>> but then you may end up on the split version, too.
>
> I do not understand how that relates to what we are talking about here.

Search engines suck for navigating some document you already have open
in your browser.

And that's what is touted as the way to make everything easier.

--
David Kastrup