Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 17:42:56 +0200

> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 04:54:43 +0100
> Cc: Tom <address@hidden>, Emacs-Devel devel <address@hidden>
>
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> >> Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:32:13 +0000 (UTC)
> >>
> >> Users want to get the information fast and it is much faster to
> >> search for something in google than trying to find the relevant
> >> section of the manual.
> >
> > That's simply incorrect, if you use the 'i' command in Info, which is
> > the main way of searching an Info manual.
>
> That is perhaps more an opinion?

No, it's experience.

> I definitively think users who know Google search well can find the
> information very quickly that way. And new users - who we want to
> help, of course - probably are very good at that.

You need to be good at both.  One does not come instead of the other.
A wise person will use each one where appropriate, and sometimes
both.  Please don't present this as an "either-or" situation.  No one
said that you should use either Google or Info.

> > Once again, with Google, you never know whether the info you see is up
> > to date or even correct.
>
> This is not true. You do not have to search the whole internet just
> because you use Google. You could do something like this:
>
>    Google: "site:www.gnu.org/software/emacs/24.2/manual/ some thing"
>
> If that folder exists there, of course.

How do you know it does exist?

And if you do know, how is this different from going to the same
manual and using the text search (the 's' command) there?  It isn't.