Re: HTML-Info design

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 05:53:04 +0200

> From: Nic Ferrier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:06:55 +0000

> >     functional equivalent of the Info reader is indeed feasible and
> >     practical with this technology.
>
> You're wrong. This POC is proof that an info reader is feasible. Nothing
> you have pointed as it substantive except search and we absolutely know
> that could be done.

How can we know that without even trying to implement a substantial
subset of what Info does?  Your current implementation is 300-line
long; if the addition of at least the basic Info features will take it
to 3000, then what did we gain?  And if you cannot get rid of the
right-to-left display of the prompts for index and menu items, this
implementation is simply unacceptable, because it means we cannot
control its display.

IOW, your POC proves that it can be done, buit its not enough to
convince me that it could be done well enough.

> This has not moved only because:
>
> 1. the next obvious massively beneficial step is a difficult and time
> consuming one - to generate the info for all the manuals because a proxy
> is not scalable
>
> 2. no one else is helping, despite many people being excited about
> it. Hey what's new?

It will never move unless you decide to go ahead.  Nothing substantial
ever gets done in Emacs by excitement and talk.