Re: texi2html output validity

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: texi2html output validity
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:14:01 +0000

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Patrice Dumas <address@hidden> wrote:
> First of all it is a bit unclear where this html comes from.  In
> general, both texi2html and texi2any/makeinfo, especially for makeinfo
> starting at version 5 render properly nested html tags.

Could it be coming from some HTML output customization that is used
for the Lilypond manuals?

>> @t is a non-semantic command in Texinfo and should probably be
>> discouraged the same way <tt> has been discouraged in HTML since at
>> least 1997. It probably should become a <span class="t"> styled with
>> .t { font-family: monospace }.
>
> @t and other non-semantic commands are already discouraged in the manual.
> But I see no point in not using <tt> for @t, as long as browser support
> it (which is likely to be until the end of times). CSS is not supported
> by every browser.

Using a class and CSS for instead of <tt> would not make the output
file any more "semantic", it just specifies a fixed-width font in a
more verbose way. I would say if you don't like <tt> appearing because
it is deprecated, consider also the @t command deprecated. It's fine
to produce "bad" (non-semantic) output for "bad" input.