Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:08:39 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

You just gave up too soon, that's all.

No I didn't. I switched from the info index (which didn't work for me first time) to a search engine (which did). Why should I insist on slowing myself down with inferior technology?

Of course this was just one example, but it's representative. It's long been my experience that search engines work better than traditional indexes for most of my questions about Emacs functionality. And I don't think my experience is at all atypical. Feel free to tweak the manually-maintained index, but in the end I expect the tweaks won't benefit most users.

There are 880
nodes in the ELisp manual, out of which 116, including "Time of Day",
didn't follow that rule (they do now)

Thanks, that's undoubtedly an improvement to the manually-maintained index, but it underscores a problem with the way we're currently using Texinfo. Here's an extract from the current emacs-24 documentation source:

* Standard Abbrev Tables::      Abbrev tables used by various major modes.
@node Standard Abbrev Tables
@section Standard Abbrev Tables
@cindex standard abbrev tables
* Standard Abbrev Tables::  Abbrev tables used by various major modes.

Although this kind of repetition may be needed in the *output* of makeinfo, it shouldn't be necessary in its *input*. I know why each input line is there, and of course there are arguments for doing it in this annoyingly prolix and error-prone way, but overall it's clearly a mess that gets in the way of real improvements, and contributors shouldn't have to put up with this sort of thing.