Re: HTML-Info design

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 11:25:52 +0000

 >> What's non-pretty with how we do this now?  What features are
 >> missing?

 > We don't know (before redisplay) how wide a piece of text is, so we
 > can't fill the text.  This makes it impossible to use proportional
 > fonts in common layouts like

 > first column with         second column with
 > some flowing text here    some other text
 >                           here

        As per the current shr.el version, this only affects HTML
        documents which use tables to implement such layouts, – and
        HTML5 already discourages that [1]:

    Tables should not be used as layout aids.  Historically, many Web
    authors have tables in HTML as a way to control their page layout
    making it difficult to extract tabular data from such documents.
    […]

    There are a variety of alternatives to using HTML tables for layout,
    primarily using CSS positioning and the CSS table model.

        When the layout is implemented with CSS, the Emacs own display
        model, combined with the incomplete CSS support in SHR, ensure
        that the above is instead rendered as, say:

This is the page content proper.  Emacs may apply its usual facilities to flow
it as necessary, without any trouble whatsoever.  For one thing, many MediaWiki
instances use exactly this layout.

This is the sidebar, which is placed to the left of the “payload” content in
the browsers implementing (a larger subset of) CSS.  Unless being tweaked by
the user to his or her own taste, that is.

        Personally, I think that that’s even better.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/tabular-data.html#the-table-element

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A