Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 21:51:07 -0500

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

  > The long term result of all of this may very well be to do exactly the
  > opposite of what you want -- to convince compiler researchers that
  > LLVM is the only serious platform for their work,

Why do you say "may very well be"?  According to your previous
paragraph, they are already convinced, so there is no way to
make that any worse.

Richard,

That almost comes across as you playing intentionally dumb.  The paragraph you quote explicitly uses the term 'researchers'.  While some compiler and language aware tools research happens in industry surely the largest amount happens in academe.  Academic researchers constitute a continually renewing flow with those graduate students who move on into - typically to less 'researchy' - industry roles being replaced by fresh, impressionable talent.

Yes, we may be able to little to reshape attitudes of those who have left academe.  But are you therefore suggesting that the battle for hearts and minds of potential future researchers is unalterably predetermined and so utterly lost that we should not even try?

/john