Re: On tabs and spaces

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On tabs and spaces
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:26:10 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/15/2015 12:57 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> git blame does not spend that much of its time diffing.  Even if the
>> difference between plain and -w has become larger with Git 2.1+ (simply
>> because it wastes vastly less time with other endeavors), the bulk of
>> the run time is likely spent in unpacking files from the repository
>> rather than comparing them.
>
> Would you consider this kind of difference of no consequence?
>
> $ time git blame src/xdisp.c >/dev/null
>
> real  0m11.875s
> user  0m10.753s
> sys   0m0.583s
> $ time git blame -w src/xdisp.c >/dev/null
>
> real  0m17.127s
> user  0m16.779s
> sys   0m0.356s

Once you factor the time of C-x v g into the equation, the 5.5s of
difference are not all that impressive.  On my computer, previous to
version 2.1 we were talking about about 5 _minutes_ of runtime.

> But anyway, I distinctly remember the performance of blaming being one
> of the reasons why we shouldn't do whitespace-cleaning across the
> repository.

I don't think it was as much the performance rather than the
_convenience_ or knowledge.  Most people call git blame without -w at
first, and sometimes they don't even know about the option.  Emacs
doesn't use -w by default when doing C-x v g either IIRC.  Getting it in
there is somewhat cumbersome.

--
David Kastrup