Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Omitting Windows-specific parts from infrastructure changes
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:14:28 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It is working because I cleaned it up.  It didn't work before that

No, the code already worked for the patches we're talking about, e.g., replacing strcat with stpcpy. And it still works, in the places where the MS-Windows code still uses strcat instead of stpcpy.

The costs are minuscule: just a short notice posted here.

The costs would be more than that, as I'd need to examine code that I don't look at now, and I'd have to save notes about the examination somewhere, and keep track of these notes during the time period between searching and installing the fix, which is often weeks. I have dozens of variants of the GNU Emacs development sources and can't be expected to remember how each was derived, so all this work product would have to be maintained somehow. This would add nontrivial bureaucracy to the maintenance of mainline code, with only a trivial benefit to non-mainline maintenance. It's not worth it.