Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: vc-dir default directory: repository root?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:47:15 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/21/2015 07:33 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>>> We don't really know what "most people like".
> We do know that a whole lot of people consider Magit to be the best
> thing since sliced bread. It does not provide such functionality, and
> I don't see anyone asking.

I understand this is not (yet?) a vote, but wanted nevertheless to show
my support for Daniel and Stefan's idea (also I really really don't
consider Magit to be that good).

In my perspective, in Git, it almost never makes sense to `vc-dir' into
anything but the root directory. AFAIK there is no git-status for
subdirectories (unless they are a submodule), and I see `vc-dir' as an
interactive substitute for git-status. More practically, among other
annoyances, it is especially annoying when `M-x vc-dir' opens in a
subdir and I press `v' to commit marked files. In that occasion, the
contents of the transient (or file-based, in the case of Emacs itself)
ChangeLog buffers, which are conveniently and automatically transported
into the VC-log buffer, happens incorrectly, omitting the full path that
is the convention.

So, may I ask what is the trouble with making this option depend on the
current visited file's `vc-backend`? CVS and others could default to
default-directory and Git and others could default to the root
directory.

João