Re: using commit identifiers in bug reports

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: using commit identifiers in bug reports
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 20:45:53 +0000

 >>> No, that already might be interpreted as "starting from last week".
 >>> Perhaps even my suggestion above might.  So how about "with the
 >>> current trunk, Emacs does this and that"?

        I still feel it useful to include the commit identifier
        somewhere.  Why, report-emacs-bug already puts the version in
        the subject, and on Git ‘master’, a single version value may
        correspond to vastly different trees.

 >> That might be a British vs American English issue.

 > I don't think so.  AFAIK, Glenn's origins are in the UK, and mine are
 > certainly not in the US.  And yet both of us consider that wording
 > awkward and somewhat confusing.

        One more thing to note is that English Wikipedia consistently
        uses “as of” to mean “at that particular point in time” without
        any implication of the state of affairs being /changed/ at that
        same point.  See [1], for instance.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:As_of

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A