Re: Pixel-based display functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Pixel-based display functions
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:37:00 +1100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> I'll do some exploratory hacking and see how that goes...

I've gotten rendering a typical variable-pitch manual page down to
0.04s, but rendering multi-column layouts is still too slow to be used
on realistic pages.

`font-get-glyphs' on a large region is quite fast, but since the font
may vary, I'm calling it on a char-by-char basis, and that's s-l-o-w.
Hm...  `font-at' is fast, too, so perhaps I can get something working by
collating regions or something.

`font-get-glyphs' returns an awful lot of data, and virtually all of it
isn't used for doing this sort of filling, so I have a suspicion that
I'm going to end up writing a new C-level function that just returns
glyph widths fast.