Re: Requesting review before pushing patch to ELPA

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Requesting review before pushing patch to ELPA
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 11:15:19 +0000

You have two options. In both cases, you'll have a separate elpa
branch on your repo. Whenever you do your git subtree merging into the
GNU Elpa repository, use your repo's elpa branch as the remote
(instead of master).

You can:

Create an elpa branch in your repo, child of the master branch.
Delete from the elpa branch everything but the package source files.
Whenever you update master, merge that into elpa.

This has two small disadvantages. - Every time you edit a test file
you'll get a merge conflict when you try to merge master into elpa. -
Even though you deleted the files from HEAD, they will still exist in
the history of your repo (and therefore, in the history of the GNU
Elpa repo).

You can also (this is the one I used):

Create an orphan elpa branch, and manually place in there only the
files you're ok with.
Delete and recreate the master branch.
Merge elpa into master, then manually add to master all of the files
you didn't want on elpa.
Do your development on the elpa branch, and merge that into master.

This has the advantage that the unwanted files will be wiped from
history, so the GNU Elpa repo will never know about them. It has the
obvious disadvantage that it will completely reset your repo's
history.

Cheers