Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:17:45 -0500

>> I think I got confused by the name: these objects don't represent
>> modules, right (despite the name of their type)?  They are objects
>> created by a particular module (stored in the module-id).
> Correct. I started with Lisp_Module_Object but thought it was redundant.

I think the undesirable part of this name is "module" ;-)

At least, AFAICT, while this feature is introduced so that modules can
use it, it is not directly dependent on modules.

So, we could call it something else like "Lisp_Opaque_finalized_Object"
(I'm sure you can all easily come up with an even longer name).

>> The Lisp_Misc union is for objects with up to 5 "words" (or 6 "words" if
>> you count the word that holds the header).  Your objects have only
>> 2 "words" (or 3 if you count the header where you added the "id"), so
>> you're perfectly fine, with room to grow.
> I'm not sure what "words" means here.

It means "the natural size of things on the particular system".

> Pointers are 64 bits wide on 64 bits systems,

Right, so "words" are 64bit on such a system.

        Stefan