Re: Why is Elisp's defvar weird? And is eval_sub broken?

From: Kelly Dean
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp's defvar weird? And is eval_sub broken?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 23:39:27 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Using the same identifiers sometimes as a lexical var and sometimes as
> a dynamic var is evil for the poor human reader.  Si I have no intention
> to try and refine the semantics of such cases.

So the local-specialness feature is intended exclusively to be a workaround for
the problem of non-prefixed symbols, not intended for any other purpose?

In that case, should desktop-first-buffer, desktop-buffer-ok-count, and
desktop-buffer-fail-count be given init values to prevent local specialness, so
that code outside desktop.el that calls desktop functions that use those
variables doesn't have to do defvar on them?