Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:55:38 +0200

On 02/18/2015 06:10 PM, Wedler, Christoph wrote:

Well, if we think that the advantage of a 2nd narrowing is greater then
the disadvantage (complexity) -I am not convinced-, then we should at
least reduce the disadvantage.  In this case, this means that the
"functional" narrowing should be visible - I am not sure how to do it if
the "visible" narrowing is smaller...

I believe, if this distinction will sometime come into life, the "functional" kind will only be applied programmatically, and won't stay on between commands. So there'll be nothing to highlight.

Not necessarily: you also can adjust the indentation after the submode
applies it.

I do exactly that, but it does not work for python due to its cycling
functionality.  (It is also not ideal buffer-undo-list -wise.)

I don't know about cycling. Sounds like something that could be handled in a different way.

buffer-undo-list should be fine: several changes performed by one command invocation will be treated as one by undo.

The action would be only almost correctly indented - but not the last
two actions like (do-something).  Reason: these sexps are top-level in
the code chunk, and Emacs Lisp indents it not relatively to some
previous line, but at column 0.

We could again do some workaround if the indentation of the sub mode
indents at column 0 (that is exactly what I am currently doing), but it
again does not work for Python due to its indentation cycling.

Yes, sorry. I'm actually doing the same as you: 0 column means top-level (and top-level means add N columns). The whitespace-padding is only performed in a certain, special case.

Looking at `python-indent-line-function', it seems like it's going to cycle only under certain conditions (this-command is the same as last-command, and it's in the special list). From what I understand, it might even be what the user expects. If not, why not bind `this-command' to some odd value?