Which from and envelope addresses should be used for git commits?

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Which from and envelope addresses should be used for git commits?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 18:04:17 +0100

Hi,

I noticed that messages sent to emacs-diffs after a commit to the git repo
seem to use the address in savannah as from and envelope address instead of
the committer address as was aparently done for the bzr repo. Noticed when
pushing a7254bbf99d9c9a55c93aae840c9d97598d4ce73 to the emacs-24 branch.

Most times they will match, but I wonder if if should default to use the
committer address as before.

Regards,

--
Agustin