Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:20:41 +0100

I've tried to implement modules using Daniel's plan. It turned out to
be pretty easy, mostly because I'm more familiar with the Emacs
codebase now and because it's a lot less intrusive than my previous
attempt.

It's not finished but I have a basic module working on linux. It's a
proof of concept, basically.

* fixnum <-> int64_t is the only type conversion supported
* No memory management
* No error handling
* No optional compilation/configure option
* No docstrings

No special build instructions since nothing is ifdef'd.
Once you have it running, you can build the sample module by running
make in modules/basic/.

    $ ./src/emacs -Q
    (module-load "./modules/basic/basic.so")
    => t

    (basic-sum 2 2)
    => 4

The code is available on my github repo on the dynamic-modules-2 branch.
The interesting parts are the API header, the runtime and the sample module.

git repo: https://github.com/aaptel/emacs-dynamic-module.git
browse online:
https://github.com/aaptel/emacs-dynamic-module/commit/278f26a5e993f8cbf6784f35c5ea8aeb9ef04019