Re: VC mode and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 06:54:41 -0400

  > > I think that C-x v v, when it commits changes, should also push them.
  > > This would make git more comparable to other version control systems.
  > >
  > > Does anyone see a reason not to?

  > Yes. It would mean VC mode could not be used to work on private development
  > branches.

No it wouldn't.  It would mean that some other little feature would be
needed for private development branches.

Why present an easily-address wrinkle as if it were an insuperable problem?

  > An important part of many DVCs workflows is that you can make experimental
  > changes that users of whatever shared repository your pushes go to don't
see.

I generally don't commit a change until I am ready to install it.  But
if you want to commit changes locally, it is easy to set up ways to do
that.  For instance, set a flag in that directory which would say
"don't push automatically".

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation