Re: VC mode and git

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 09:22:36 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
The reason I don't commit a change immediately after I write it is
that I want to test it in real (and varied) use.  Sometimes I find
bugs and have to change it.  After some period in which it works well,
I decide it is ready to install.

That is a good reason. However, for your information there is the variant “git commit --amend”, which as the option suggests amends the current commit. Just “git add“ the files you changed and run “git commit --amend”. It also lets you edit the commit message. After discovering this option, I find I am less fearful of making premature commits, since they are easily fixed. (But not after pushing, of course. That way lies madness.)

– Harald