Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 18:12:27 +0300

> Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 10:46:37 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>   > If this is your work pattern, you should commit all of your changesets
>   > before attempting a push.
>
> Sometimes I have changes that should be installed, and other changes
> in other files that are not ready for installation.  With vc-dir, that
> has been easy to do.  How can I handle that with Git?

The same you did with CVS: just pull.  In most cases, this should
"just work".  It might fail if there are conflicts with stuff you pull
from upstream, in which case you should resolve the conflicts (like
you did with CVS).

Steinar's advice is valid, because having your changes committed
locally makes the probability that you will lose them in some rare
situations lower (or maybe zero).  So you should try committing
locally what you feel is ready to be committed.  But it shouldn't be
fatal if you don't.

I tried to make the instructions about this simpler and more clear,
please see http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs,
I'd appreciate your comments about the new version.