Re: VC mode and git

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 22:01:45 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:
How fragile and complicated git is.

Complicated, sure. But fragile? I am not so sure.
Apart from commands like git reset --hard, it seems very difficult to actually lose data with git. But it is possible to get into a state which is hard to get out of, as you (we all) have discovered.

Apropos of that, I have a question for the git experts out there.
If you read the glossary, you will find that the index can hold three versions of the same file. This happens only, I believe, with a merge that had conflicts. The stash, on the other hand, seems to be just a sort of temporary commit, where you can put things to get them out of the way and retrieve them afterwards.

From this it is my guess that stashing in the middle of a merge with conflicts is not safe, as the stash is not capable of holding multiple versions of a single file. Or am I wrong about that? I have not been able to find out by reading the documentation, but perhaps I have been looking in the wrong place.

This concern is one reason I asked Richard at one point about the output of “git ls-tree -u”. When it turned out to be empty, I was much relieved.

– Harald