Re: VC mode and git

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 17:58:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I agree that separate long-lived changes are better kept in separate
branches, but we have seen several people who are familiar with Git
make silly mistakes that involved two branches, so I'm not sure we
should suggest separate branches to people who want to be as close to
CVS as possible.

I was going to ask what sort of silly mistake that might be, but then I thought of one myself: Creating a new branch off the emacs-24 branch, then merging that into the master branch. Or vice versa. It's easily done, and likely to wreak havoc on savannah. Perhaps the risk can be minimized by naming the task branch either master-something or emacs-24-something, to give a clear indication of where it belongs.

– Harald