Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b6610d5 2/4: emacs-lisp/package.el: Refactor pr

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b6610d5 2/4: emacs-lisp/package.el: Refactor pre-execute prompt
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 19:03:16 +0200

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

I don't understand. Say someone creates a branch foo from master. Then
each branch has several commits, and foo is merged into master. How do
you linearly order the commits that happened on the separate branches?

Ah, but I am just being silly here. I got thrown by the name “bisect”. Of course, it doesn't always have to be bisection the way you do it in a linear order! Instead, assuming the bug was introduced when the branches were separate, the method needs to check the merge commit, and if the bug is present there, check the commit where the branches diverged, and if it is absent there, check the two branches separately. If there is more branching, do it recursively. This is not rocket science. It's just the “bisect” name that is misleading.

Sorry about the noise.

– Harald