Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 02:32:43 +0300

On 04/06/2015 03:24 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> That's exactly the issue: should we mention such techniques on that
page?

Hard to say. But 'git commit --amend' is already a dangerous operation. Someone might forget that the current commit has already been pushed, and amend it anyway. What will they do then?

Try to push the result, see a message about non-fast-forward pushes being not allowed, then go along the "If pushing fails" section (pull, resolve, commit, push), and we'll have two similar commits in the history.

I don't really know how to proof the instructions against that.

So what was needed is a pull, a merge resolving the conflicts, and then
a push. The situation was complicated by the need to resolve ChangeLog
conflicts manually (or else there may have been no conflicts at all),
which is something that was a problem for me as well after Emacs's
transition to Git. While I know how to merge, it wasn't obvious how
exactly those kind of conflicts should be resolved, which ordering to
use, dates, etc. And it's annoying to have to do it each time manually.

I hope the instructions in their current form explain all that well
enough.

They don't explain how to merge ChangeLogs, and the specialized merge driver is only mentioned in GitForEmacsDevs. Well, we should have no need for it soon.