Re: Async Package.el Feedback

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Async Package.el Feedback
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 18:20:54 +0200

raman <address@hidden> writes:

> The yes/no prompt I am talking about:
>
> In general in emacs, if you attempt to edit a file through its symlink
> you get a yes/no prompt saying "Follow symlink?" or some such.
>
> In the case of package.el -- when I updated 28 packages, I got that
> prompt 28 times.

I cannot reproduce for a general symlink from emacs -q, but I can
reproduce for a file linking to a git-controlled file.  To avoid the
prompt I set vc-follow-symlinks to non-nil.

    vc-follow-symlinks is a variable defined in `vc-hooks.el'.
    Its value is t
    Original value was ask

    Documentation:
    What to do if visiting a symbolic link to a file under version control.
    Editing such a file through the link bypasses the version control system,
    which is dangerous and probably not what you want.

    If this variable is t, VC follows the link and visits the real file,
    telling you about it in the echo area.  If it is `ask', VC asks for
    confirmation whether it should follow the link.  If nil, the link is
    visited and a warning displayed.

—Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs