Re: map.el and naming

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: map.el and naming
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 22:38:00 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

> [...]

+1  I like how it sounds, and the way it phonetically distinguishes
between the object and the operation.

 > So it seems the alternative is between finding a replacement for the
 > "map, the type" (where "dict" is the best candidate so far) and finding
 > a replacement for "map, the operation" (not sure what the best
 > candidates would be here, maybe "iterate", or "loop", or "visit"?).

Try "visit", please.  Iterate and loop imply linear order to some
extent, and people often assume the order is stable against insertion.
(Yeah, I know, in fact "iterate" doesn't imply any such thing, and the
implication in "loop" is pretty weak.  It's just that I've seen this
happen with "iterate" in Python.)