Displaying scrollable images in a grid-layout

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Displaying scrollable images in a grid-layout
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:06:57 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to display a bunch of images in a grid layout, in a
way that let's me scroll the window over these images, i.e. with
some displayed only partially at the bottom and/or top.

Though I couldn't figure out a way of doing it properly, so I'm
asking here.  The same problems I'm running into can be observed
with the image-dired.el package.

    (with-current-buffer (find-file-noselect
                          (expand-file-name
                           "images"
                           data-directory))
      (dired-unmark-all-marks)
      (dired-mark-directories nil)
      (dired-toggle-marks)
      (image-dired-display-thumbs)
      (setq-local scroll-conservatively 0)
      (setq-local scroll-step 0)
      (setq-local scroll-up-aggressively nil))

This should create a *image-dired* buffer.  But trying to scroll
it seems to have no effect:

    (set-window-vscroll nil (+ (window-vscroll) 1))

Setting either scroll-step or scroll-conservatively to 1 or
scroll-up-aggressively to 0.0 allows for scrolling to happen

    (setq-local scroll-step 1)
    (set-window-vscroll nil (+ (window-vscroll) 1))

But it slows down redisplay considerably, to a point where it
becomes unusable.

Is there a way of doing this ?

-ap