Re: [elpa] master 567ea7e 1/3: Ivy-mode now works better with `find-file

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 567ea7e 1/3: Ivy-mode now works better with `find-file'
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:39:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Info-read-node-name-1 takes STRING, PREDICATE, and CODE and says to
>> look in the `completing-read' doc.  But there's nothing abount CODE
>> there. Where do I get it?
>
> I think you're better off reading about it in the Elisp manual.
> The third argument (called ACTION usually) is basically the *method* to
> use on the "object implemented as a function".  It can be nil (which
> means `try-completion'), t (which means `all-completions'), lambda
> (which means `test-completion'), or `boundaries', or `metadata'.

Seems very complex for just returning a (short) list of strings.
Why doesn't this work for `Info-read-node-name-1':

    (setq collection (all-completions "" collection predicate))

while this works within the topic, but not in the directory:

    (setq collection (funcall collection "" nil t))

If I understood the info page correctly, both should be equivalent.

Oleh