Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b5b0e05: Call `smerge-start-session' even when

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b5b0e05: Call `smerge-start-session' even when dealing with a stash conflict
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:14:05 +0300

On 04/20/2015 05:48 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I care a lot more about having Git know that the conflict is resolved,
than about the fine distinction between what was staged and what wasn't.

Very well.

Better would be for vc-git-resolve-when-done to check the status of the
file and only `git add' it if it doesn't have anything staged yet.  So,
it would still work as before in the case where there was nothing staged
before the "stash pop".

Hmm, it seem I can't really detect whether the file had something staged (whether the conflict is due to that, or some new commits, 'git diff --cached', for instance, only says '* Unmerged path test2').

Maybe there's nothing to recover at that point anyway (someone feel free to correct me here).

Or better yet, do the "mark as resolved" differently, which doesn't
involved touching the "staging area".  Not sure how to do that, but Git
aficionados should be able to find some clever hack for that, involving
less than 10 commands.

Guess I'm not enough of an aficionado, then. After plenty of searching and reading the man pages, 'git add' followed by 'git reset' is the best I have.