Re: [elpa] master a94ca83 01/18: swiper.el: Add a work-around for window

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] master a94ca83 01/18: swiper.el: Add a work-around for window-start not being current
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:08:57 -0400

>     An alternative would be to use `redisplay' to update `window-start' and
>     `window-end', but that causes excessive blinking.

Yes, this sucks.  Currently, I think the best mechanism in Emacs to
perform such highlighting is fontification-functions, but that is used
by jit-lock.  So you could use jit-lock-register, but it would cause
re-font-locking the (visible part of) the buffer, which also sucks.

jit-lock should ideally be extended to better deal with "multiple
clients" so that it is able to understand that some parts of the buffer
have already been handled by some clients (currently, it's all or
nothing: either jit-lock thinks that a part of the buffer has been
handled by all clients, or it thinks that it's been handled by none).

        Stefan