Re: xref backends for elisp-related modes Was: Re: Bad moves with xref-f

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: xref backends for elisp-related modes Was: Re: Bad moves with xref-find-definitions
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 08:55:24 +0200

On Tue, Apr 28 2015, Vitalie Spinu wrote:

> Maybe obvious, but this struggle with the choice of the
> default backend wouldn't be there if xref was able to merge backends.

My original proposal had a xref-location= generic function for exactly
that reason: to give the front end the possibility to remove duplicates.

However, this was removed because a) it complicates the
front-end<->backend-end API b) everybody who can write methods for
xref-location= can just as well write a backend that removes duplicates.

For me those are convincing arguments too delegate duplicate removal to
backends.

Helmut