Re: UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: UI inconveniences with M-.
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 22:10:21 +0300

On 05/02/2015 09:59 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Another thing that we should consider is how to let the user choose
which backend to use.  Currently we only have xref-etags-mode, but
I think it would make sense to make it possible for the user to
dynamically choose among the potentially many more backends (e.g. we
could add an xref/grep backend, and there will hopefulyl be more using
things like id-utils, gtags, ...)

I still expect that managing those simply with minor modes will work well enough. While using id-utils or gtags instead of etags can be valuable, we'd probably stick to only one of them at a time.

Maybe choose between them automatically, like semantic-symref does (and allows us to do).

and maybe also to use several backends
at the same time (merging the results).

If we agree on the OO approach to grouping (or even the list-of-strings approach), merging them automatically would look pretty unsolvable to me. Concatenation would work, though (with the OO approach).