Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:36:22 +0300

On 05/06/2015 05:40 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Fine with me, thanks.

Here's why you might change your mind: even on forward jumps, we can only have a "match" data in certain cases, like using xref-find-references.

Using etags for xref-find-references, we don't have the column where the identifier name starts. So if we're jumping to last_height, we only have the information where "static int last_height;" starts.

I'm sure we could do a search-forward, but that's venturing into the hacks territory, and there's no guarantee, in general, that the identifier you've typed into the prompt occurs in the buffer as-is.