Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 18:30:56 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:36:22 +0300
>
> Here's why you might change your mind: even on forward jumps, we can
> only have a "match" data in certain cases, like using xref-find-references.

When we don't have the data, and no symbol in hand to search for, then
it's okay to highlight the entire line, I think.

> Using etags for xref-find-references, we don't have the column where the
> identifier name starts. So if we're jumping to last_height, we only have
> the information where "static int last_height;" starts.
>
> I'm sure we could do a search-forward, but that's venturing into the
> hacks territory, and there's no guarantee, in general, that the
> identifier you've typed into the prompt occurs in the buffer as-is.

It's a nice added value to be able to highlight more specifically than
the entire line.  If it's hard, then the person who solves it will get
more bonus points from me.  But I see no reason to give up hope that
something like this will some day happen.