Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "ext

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 14bb519: * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: New "external" package status
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 19:47:29 +0100

>>     An external package is any installed package that's not built-in
>>     and not from `package-user-dir', which usually means it's from an
>>     entry in `package-directory-list'.  They are treated much like
>>     built-in packages, in that they cannot be through the Package Menu
>>     deleted and are not considered for upgrades.
>
> Good, thanks.  I'd call them "system packages", tho.

I didn't call them "system" because they might just have been
installed by the user. I can change that if preferred, but that brings
me to another topic.

The docstring of `package-directory-list' says it is intended for
system-wide packages. But it seems to me that it would work perfectly
fine for the user's manually installed packages (in fact, that's what
I'm doing here).
This way, if I want to manually download a package to a directory
that's NOT inside ~/.emacs.d/elpa, I can still have package.el
recognize its presence for the purpose of dependencies and such by
adding the directory to `package-directory-list'.

All the functionality already exists, I'm just wondering if I can
document that on the docstring or if there's a reason why this
variable is specifically meant for system packages.

> And we should allow the user to install another version on top of it.

I think we already do. If a more recent version is available from the
archives it is still shown in the menu. It just won't be automatically
marked for installation with the `U' key.