Re: What would an "An Official" GNU Emacs Book look like?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What would an "An Official" GNU Emacs Book look like?
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 19:22:40 +0200

Vaidheeswaran C <address@hidden>
writes:

> I don't have concrete answers to your questions.
>
> Without seeking to define the content of the book
> (for now), let us just __name__ my effort "A Emacs
> Primer".
>
> What I hope to do is:
>
> 1. Produce some sample draft (of narrow scope) that
> is agreeable to the maintainers. The initial draft
> will set (or define) the future direction for
> this effort.
>
> 2. Lobby for an Official Git repo and discussion
> list for the project.
>
> The blessings-from-FSF is something that I consider
> as non-negotiable. The rest can be negotiated.

Aren't you "doing" this the opposite way? First think
(decide) what you want to do. Then solve practical
issues with Git, a listbot, and so on.

If you don't know exactly what the book should be
about but you want to be active writing about Emacs,
why don't you start a blog with random articles of
things that appeal to you? Just add them one by one.

For example, I would write about Gnus, w3m,
interfaces, font lock, finger habits, typing, etc.,
much as I do often on gnu.emacs.help. After compiling
say 100 such pieces I would ask "is this material for
a book?" Probably it wouldn't be, but who knows?

That way you aren't blocked in your desire for
activity by trying to figure out things beforehand and
getting stuck on trying to solve practical measures to
support a project which you don't even know what
it is.

So instead, just start being active today, and see
where it takes you :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573