Re: After a git merge and manual correction of a conflict, how do I tell

From: Kelvin White
Subject: Re: After a git merge and manual correction of a conflict, how do I tell git the conflict is fixed?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 22:44:30 +0000

Fix the file then git add it && git commit it to show git it is resolved

On Tue, May 26, 2015, 6:39 PM Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello, Emacs

It's git misery time again.  :-(

I did a git stash, followed by git merge, followed by git stash pop.
This caused a conflict in .gitignore, which I repaired by editing
that file.

I think (but I'm not sure), I need somehow to tell git that the file has
been fixed.  The git equivalent of 'bzr resolve'.  I can't find any
documentation telling me how to do this, or alternatively that it's not
needed.

git status returns the following obscure "information":

    On branch master
    Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
    Unmerged paths:
      (use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
      (use "git add <file>..." to mark resolution)

            both modified:   .gitignore

.  I don't think I want to "unstage" anything (whatever that might
mean) - IIUC, the suggested recipe would discard all my changes.  I think
I might want to "mark resolution" (assuming this gobbledegook means
"mark <file> as resolved"), but the suggested recipe, as far as I am
aware, doesn't "mark resolution", instead it moves a file into a list of
files to be committed in the (?near) future.

Do I actually need to tell git that the merge conflicts in .gitignore
have been fixed?  If so, how do I do this?  There doesn't appear to be a
'git resolve' command.

Where is this 'bzr resolve' equivalent documented?  I now have git
2.3.6, and it now comes with an info manual, and all its man pages
stuffed into another info document, which is a great improvement.  I
still can't find what I need, though.

Thanks in advance for the help.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).