Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f9fabb2 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gn

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f9fabb2 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 15:02:13 -0400

> I try to use vc-dir as much as possible. At this step, several files
> were marked as "edited", surprisingly. IIRC all files which were
> reported between my two previous pull requests, while I did commit
> tramp.el locally. That's to say the files, Stefan has repaired with

Yes, it's something annoys me in other ways as well.
When you do a "git pull" (or equivalent) when ends up being a merge
rather than a fast-forward, you're basically adding the *other* branch's
code to yours, so when there's a conflict it shows you that other code
and those places where it conflicts with yours.

Furthermore, it messes up the repository's "mainline".

The way Git intends you to use it, you should basically never
"commit+push" on the "master" branch.  Instead you should do all
development on some other branch, and then to push it to master, you
need to do "checkout master; git pull; git merge <branch>; git push" and
if the push fails, you need to "git reset --soft HEAD^" and try again.

I should sit down and write a "git update" command which would work like
"git pull" but which pulls the current branch into the other branch
instead of the other way around.

        Stefan