Re: [elpa] master 77c062f: * nlinum.el (nlinum--setup-window): Better pr

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 77c062f: * nlinum.el (nlinum--setup-window): Better preserve margin settings
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 03:03:59 +0300

On 05/28/2015 09:28 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

+  ;; FIXME: The interaction between different uses of the margin is
+  ;; problematic.  We should have a way for different packages to indicate (and
+  ;; change) their preference independently.

I think ideally Emacs would be able to size the margin dynamically, based on the longest margin string in the visible mart of the buffer (maybe use a new value, `auto', for it).

And also display several margin strings together. Maybe use an overlay property, which can indicate the preferred sorting order. And another property to indicate origins, so that strings from one package are always displayed in a neat column.