Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: Unified project interface

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Re: Unified project interface
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 22:04:28 +0300

On 06/08/2015 04:35 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:

Yes, that's the point. That's how you distinuish between multi-language
and single-language searches.

That is inadequate. An ideal "project" implementation should be smart enough to figure out whether to look for the symbol's definition in the files with the same extension as the current one, or in files with some other extensions as well.

Elisp is lucky to have all its environment at hand. In many cases, for decent "find definitions" result, we'll need to know the project structure first anyway.

I think that there should be just one backend there, set in
a minor mode, that knows enough about this mixed project's structure,
to know where to search.

I don't see how that would be better; that minor mode would end up doing
what I'm suggesting the "project" code do.

Maybe. Why wouldn't that be better?

I don't have a working example of this precise structure now. What I'm
imagining is a "project file" that lists source directories without
regard to language. To be concrete, imagine a project with the following
structure:

That looks decent, but if you mean that xref-source-directories would take the whole set of source directories defined for that project and only take those from it that correspond to the current language, that seems unnecessarily limiting to me (unless there's a way it can be very smart about that, and the notion of "current language" will be generalized to possibly mean an arbitrary set of major modes and file extensions).

Further, I don't want to have xref-source-directories as a separate variable or a function, unless we have to.

The idea is to add a new feature to Emacs that deals with projects, and make xref use *that*.