Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:37:54 -0400

  > > For instance, how will this affect developers whose terminals won't
  > > display curly quotes, in editing the source code?
  > > How does Emacs display curly quotes on such terminals?

  > In those cases, we use a display table to display them as their ASCII
  > equivalents.

Are the ASCII equivalents of the two curly braces ` and '?

If so, the code will look natural, and most editing will work fine.
However, searches for those characters will have unpredictable results.

As that user writes changes, he will insert real ` and ' rather than
curly braces.  But maybe the new electric quote mode will convert them.

If so, I don't see any problem off hand, except search.
That is not a grave problem, but it is a problem.

Given how little benefit this will give us, why make the change?

--
Dr Richard Stallman